Announcement

Collapse

Please follow all LEGAL requirements for state and federal transfers

Notice:
This forum, and it's managers, admins, and moderators, do not condone or encourage any illegal activity, whatsoever. You MUST follow all state and federal requirements with regard to the transfer of guns of any sort.

Inter-State transfer of any guns, whether long guns or hand guns, requires the intervention of a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer. Background checks MUST be done during the course of those transfers. Any felon or other person not qualified to receive a gun, should not seek to trade for a gun. Any suspected illegal activity here will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.

It is the responsibility of the all traders to proceed with any gun trades carefully and legally. This forum provides for only a method of communication between parties. And, neither your participation here, nor any trades that you arrange, create any real or implied legal implication of the forum, it's admins, managers, or moderators. We are not a party to your trade arrangements.
See more
See less

Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press

Have any of you guys used any other brands of primers besides the ones LEE recommends I have found a site that i can order TULA Primers @ more normal prices & i know that LEE says not use use Federal Primers but what about TULA Primers . HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know where else to post this topic

tula or wolf , ? iknow about wolf ive heard these are good primers , and inexpensive too ... get em ! i shoot tula ammo, and the primers are very reliable too
    Last edited by badbobgerman; 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM.
    Daniel Germann 1863 in his civil war uniform my great great grandfather.. lost his left arm from a musket ball in the war

Comment

ok iv done some research many have stated 5-10 thousand fired no duds so all looks good i saw the remarks on the firing line and cast boolits , buy em ....bob
      Daniel Germann 1863 in his civil war uniform my great great grandfather.. lost his left arm from a musket ball in the war

Comment

Lee's OLD mention of Federal has carried over from 15 years ago, when Federal had some issues with soft primers.
        Their old comment is no longer valid. I can tell you that from 10's of thousands of assemblies on a Lee Pro 1000 before I sold two of them to buy a Dillon 550b.

So, feel free to buy whatever primers you can, and use them with confidence.

HOWEVER, I always add this disclaimer when discussing installing primers with my reloading students:

"Primers detonate under pressure and speed. It takes both, normally, to have one go off. In 40+ years of reloading, I have never had one detonate in my reloading press. That includes primers that have been seated upside down, and crushed sideways. I have NEVER been in hurry when running a progressive press. Going too fast is a sure way to get ANY primer to go bang in the press."

Slow down your assembly cycle rate, and you should be fine with any primer.
        Administrator/Moderator - SwapArms Forum

NRA Life Member
        NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        Author of a book on reloading

Comment

I've used many thousands of "not recommended" primers in Lee equipment. Lots of manuals are written by lawyers instead of engineers these days...

Comment

i have deprimed using a lee decapper hundreds of live primers i do go SLOW and steady even stroke , never had one go off not reccomending it just saying it can be done , do use a face shield just in case , cant replace your eyes , and dont want to mess up your handsome face , he he

Comment

I have a reloader friend who tried the Tula primers. He had to shoot his revolver single action to get a positive ignition. Double action wouldn't strike the primer hard enough to set it off.

Comment

probably nato primers , little harder to prevent slam firing

Comment

Or the revolver had a trigger job on it that lightened the factory springs. No way a properly functioning factory sprung revolver doesn't make Tula primers go bang.

Comment

I agree with this comment. Issues with detonation had NOTHING to do with the primers, but most likely had everything to do with the gun.

Originally posted by imashooter2 View Post
                    Or the revolver had a trigger job on it that lightened the factory springs. No way a properly functioning factory sprung revolver doesn't make Tula primers go bang.
                    Administrator/Moderator - SwapArms Forum

NRA Life Member
                    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    Author of a book on reloading

Comment

tula are good primers.use all time and half the price of the rest of them

Comment

Ok, where are you guys getting the Tula's? Are you getting them online, or can you get them from a local store?
                        Islam in a Man is as bad as rabies in a dog. Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I've gotten them from a show (it was a local guy that just happened to be at the show) and an online order from Powder Valley (out of stock on everything but large rifle magnum).

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎