Announcement

Collapse

Please follow all LEGAL requirements for state and federal transfers

Notice:
This forum, and it's managers, admins, and moderators, do not condone or encourage any illegal activity, whatsoever. You MUST follow all state and federal requirements with regard to the transfer of guns of any sort.

Inter-State transfer of any guns, whether long guns or hand guns, requires the intervention of a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer. Background checks MUST be done during the course of those transfers. Any felon or other person not qualified to receive a gun, should not seek to trade for a gun. Any suspected illegal activity here will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.

It is the responsibility of the all traders to proceed with any gun trades carefully and legally. This forum provides for only a method of communication between parties. And, neither your participation here, nor any trades that you arrange, create any real or implied legal implication of the forum, it's admins, managers, or moderators. We are not a party to your trade arrangements.
See more
See less

Which powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which powder

Trying to figure out which powder to get started with gunna be loading 223 308 and 300 savage. Any advice would be great thanks guys.

IMR 4064, 4895, Varget, work great in my 308 and 223. Military pull down powders like WC-844, WC-846 also work well when available.

Comment

I purchased a pound of varget and a pound of 2520 to test out

Comment

You really need to refer to tested and published data provided by one of the powder manufacturers (Hodgdon, Alliant, Ramshot, etc), one of the bullet manufacturers (Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, etc), or other sources which actually test the loads, and provide safe limits for powder use. Use an up to date book. Or, use any of the above mentioned web site based data. Or, call the manufacturer and ask for safe load data.

DO NOT rely on heresay type data from the members of forums, who might have the best of intentions, but might miss the name of the powder, or the amount of the powder, etc.

The powder is the most important part of the reloading process. Mistakes with powder can hurt guns and shooters and bystanders.

The process starts with bullet selection. So, pick a specific bullet, and then seek out reloading data (including which powder to use) for that specific bullet.
        Administrator/Moderator - SwapArms Forum

NRA Life Member
        NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        Author of a book on reloading

Comment

Originally posted by DukeInMaine View Post
          You really need to refer to tested and published data provided by one of the powder manufacturers (Hodgdon, Alliant, Ramshot, etc), one of the bullet manufacturers (Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, etc), or other sources which actually test the loads, and provide safe limits for powder use. Use an up to date book. Or, use any of the above mentioned web site based data. Or, call the manufacturer and ask for safe load data.

DO NOT rely on heresay type data from the members of forums, who might have the best of intentions, but might miss the name of the powder, or the amount of the powder, etc.

The powder is the most important part of the reloading process. Mistakes with powder can hurt guns and shooters and bystanders.

The process starts with bullet selection. So, pick a specific bullet, and then seek out reloading data (including which powder to use) for that specific bullet.

Excellent Advise. This is good information to follow!

Comment

My go to rifle powder is H4895. I reload anything from .223 REM to 8X56R with it. In a pinch, if I can't find any H4895, I look for IMR 4895. Which despite the same number, and the fact that Hodgdon owns both brands, are NOT a grain for grain equivalent powder. In a pinch I've used H4198 for .223, and H4350 for the big boys.
            Last edited by gandog56; 05-31-2015, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I like WW 748 . Jedman

Comment

BL-C(2) will work well in the three calibers you listed. IMHO it is one of the ideal powders for the .223.
                I've been using it for more than 40 years and will continue to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbin86 View Post
                  Trying to figure out which powder to get started with gunna be loading 223 308 and 300 savage. Any advice would be great thanks guys.

2520 has always given top velocities in my 10.5" barreled 5.56 AR, 1 in 9" twist, 60 gr bullets. It can be expensive and hard to find, but I normally just practice with ball ammo. It's not worth reloading the fmj bullets, in my book. You wind up working for free.

Comment

Some reloading manuals also give loads that seem to work better, are more accurate, function better, Etc. It's like baking a cake, when everything is matching it's great but one bad load can leave a nasty taste in your mouth so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎