Announcement

Collapse

Please follow all LEGAL requirements for state and federal transfers

Notice:
This forum, and it's managers, admins, and moderators, do not condone or encourage any illegal activity, whatsoever. You MUST follow all state and federal requirements with regard to the transfer of guns of any sort.

Inter-State transfer of any guns, whether long guns or hand guns, requires the intervention of a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer. Background checks MUST be done during the course of those transfers. Any felon or other person not qualified to receive a gun, should not seek to trade for a gun. Any suspected illegal activity here will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.

It is the responsibility of the all traders to proceed with any gun trades carefully and legally. This forum provides for only a method of communication between parties. And, neither your participation here, nor any trades that you arrange, create any real or implied legal implication of the forum, it's admins, managers, or moderators. We are not a party to your trade arrangements.
See more
See less

never used 9mm carbide dies from Lee for .308 win dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never used 9mm carbide dies from Lee for .308 win dies

I was planing on getting a 9mm but I never did and want to reload for my .308win so I'm looking for a trade. I could throw in some 9mm brass if it would sweeten the deal. I'm looking for 3 die set that is carbide preferably with the shell holder.

Being a NRA instructor for RELOADING, I will tell you that even IF you find someone willing to give up a set of carbide rifle dies, you will STILL have to lube the brass when resizing. It's a common mis-conception that the carryover from pistol dies is true. It is NOT.

Carbide dies for necked rifle are made for commercial ammunition manufacturers, who run many millions of rounds through a die set. For the regular reloader like us, a set of carbide rifle dies will last 10 lifetimes, instead of the regular three lifetimes. And, you will still always have to lube the brass, or else it ***WILL*** get stuck in the carbide die.

Also, while pistol sets are 3 dies (full length resize, bell mouth, bullet seat/crimp), the common rifle sets are full length resize and bullet seat (two dies). Necked rifle three die sets are usually reserved for those who crimp in a separate operation, after bullet seating. It should be noted that when properly full length resized, rifle necks do NOT need to be crimped.

So, I am presuming that you are new to reloading, and were hoping to exchange a three die carbide pistol set, for the same in rifle. It's apples and oranges. Not even close. Hope that helps you with information for a trade.
    Administrator/Moderator - SwapArms Forum

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    Author of a book on reloading

Comment

yes Im a bit new and thanks for the information. That being said I was planing on lubing the brass but didn't know about the two die setup I thought the crimp was needed but almost always sold separately. so thanks and i guess i should revise the post and trade for a two die setup.

Comment

The second die in a two die rifle set is already capable of crimping. But, I urge you to never crimp. Set incorrectly, you will collapse the neck and shoulder, making your brass worthless. If you have full length sized properly, the neck tension should hold onto the bullet just fine for proper burning of the powder.
        Administrator/Moderator - SwapArms Forum

NRA Life Member
        NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        Author of a book on reloading

Comment

I have a Herters 308 Full Length 2 die set I am not using.

Comment

ALWAYS CRIMP certain Rifle cartridges.. Straight walled .... gets crimped... ammo to be used in tube magazines ,,,, gets crimped.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎