Announcement

Collapse

Please follow all LEGAL requirements for state and federal transfers

Notice:
This forum, and it's managers, admins, and moderators, do not condone or encourage any illegal activity, whatsoever. You MUST follow all state and federal requirements with regard to the transfer of guns of any sort.

Inter-State transfer of any guns, whether long guns or hand guns, requires the intervention of a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer. Background checks MUST be done during the course of those transfers. Any felon or other person not qualified to receive a gun, should not seek to trade for a gun. Any suspected illegal activity here will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.

It is the responsibility of the all traders to proceed with any gun trades carefully and legally. This forum provides for only a method of communication between parties. And, neither your participation here, nor any trades that you arrange, create any real or implied legal implication of the forum, it's admins, managers, or moderators. We are not a party to your trade arrangements.
See more
See less

1911 grip advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 grip advice.

I have a very large hand. I can split the seams on a pair of XXL gloves in a matter of days. I find the grips on my Remington R1 to be too small to fit me. At the same time, I can't afford to order ten different grips to find one that might work. The local shops are willing to order things, but have little or nothing in stock.
    Years ago a friend had an oversized set on a 1911 that had a thumb rest on the side. Unfortunately, he has long since passed on and his guns sold before I could afford to buy one.

Anyone else have big hands and found something that works? Even a name or model number would help.

Thank you,
    Mike

Check this web site: http://www.gungripsupply.com/cat40.htm

Comment

Thanks, I find all kinds of them online, but was hoping for some input from someone who actually owns one. I ordered 5 or 6 different ones for my Contender before I found one big enough to give me the control I wanted. I can't afford to do that again.

Comment

sidecarmike
        I have the big hand problem also and found that a extended magazine with a rubber boot on it added one inch to the length of the grip area
        and really helped me hold the pistol. and there is a sort of extended toe on the rubber at the base of the magazine that keeps my fingers from slipping downward.
        they are made by RAM-LINE and hold 10 rounds, They are marked MAC 4510
        Hope this was a help.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Comment

Originally posted by varmintpopper View Post
          sidecarmike
          I have the big hand problem also and found that a extended magazine with a rubber boot on it added one inch to the length of the grip area
          and really helped me hold the pistol. and there is a sort of extended toe on the rubber at the base of the magazine that keeps my fingers from slipping downward.
          they are made by RAM-LINE and hold 10 rounds, They are marked MAC 4510
          Hope this was a help.

Good Shooting

Lindy
          Thanks. I'll look into that. I was hoping to avoid making the gun's profile any bigger but won't rule it out. I did find a pair of oversized Mustang grips at a gun show last weekend. Haven't had te chance to shoot, but they definitely make the grip more comfortable.

100_4429.jpg

100_4430.jpg

Comment

sidecarmike,
            I to have full figure hands, I use Hogue grips on all my hand guns. just ordered a set for a sp101. I really like the gun but needs more meat to hang on to.

Comment

Hogue

Originally posted by fatboy View Post
              sidecarmike,
              I to have full figure hands, I use Hogue grips on all my hand guns. just ordered a set for a sp101. I really like the gun but needs more meat to hang on to.
              I second the advice for Hogue grips. The wrap around ones.

Comment

I settled on a Herrett Camp Perrys. Beautiful grips, but I sold the gun without taking a photo. Something like this from their website.

tgtauto1.jpgtgtautor.jpg

I've since started competing, shooting a Savage Striker, and hadn't touched the R1 in months.

Savage Striker.jpg

Since I got this thing, most of my others feel like forgotten orphans.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎