Announcement

Collapse

Please follow all LEGAL requirements for state and federal transfers

Notice:
This forum, and it's managers, admins, and moderators, do not condone or encourage any illegal activity, whatsoever. You MUST follow all state and federal requirements with regard to the transfer of guns of any sort.

Inter-State transfer of any guns, whether long guns or hand guns, requires the intervention of a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer. Background checks MUST be done during the course of those transfers. Any felon or other person not qualified to receive a gun, should not seek to trade for a gun. Any suspected illegal activity here will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.

It is the responsibility of the all traders to proceed with any gun trades carefully and legally. This forum provides for only a method of communication between parties. And, neither your participation here, nor any trades that you arrange, create any real or implied legal implication of the forum, it's admins, managers, or moderators. We are not a party to your trade arrangements.
See more
See less

still looking for a way to blame group size on something besides me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still looking for a way to blame group size on something besides me

Here's a noob reloading for a Savage 110 in 308. I am using Trail Boss powder and generally pretty happy with it but maybe I should try something different. Can anyone suggest another powder for low velocity plinker loads?

Savage 110 will shine for you if you shift over to IMR 4198 powder. Do some load development, using the load data books for min-max. Somewhere in between min and max, you will find a place where the group is tight, and the recoil is where you want it.

I just did some load development on a Savage 110 in 22-250, and came up with an amazing load using Hodgdon's BLC (2).

The 308 Win, however, will perform better with the IMR 4198
    Administrator/Moderator - SwapArms Forum

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    Author of a book on reloading

Comment

To Duke in florida

Duke
      I couldn't figure out how to send you a pm, so I'll just post here. Hope I don't offend anyone. The IMR/Hogdon site did not list 4198, or at least I couldn't find it. I am looking for a very light load and currently shooting 12 gr TrailBoss with good results but it's hard to find. No recoil, barrel stays cool and clean, neighbors don't whine and occasional half moa groups. Still scares the snot out of the cat tho. I shoot in my backyard range and although I have a good backstop and the nearest picture window is two miles away, I worry abt ricochets. I'm thinking of going way down with 4198 but I've read just enuf abt detonation to be concerned. What do you think of dacron filler? I always used Cream of Wheat in black powder cartridges but I'm told that it can jam at the shoulder. Any other ideas?
      tommyt

Comment

Tom, The lightest data I can find for IMR-4198 in a .308 is 25.0 grains under a 125 grain Speer TNT/HP for about 2000fps.
        You didn't mention bullet type or weight...
        I personally would not use pistol powder in a .308 (yes, I realize there is some limited data for it) unless I was shooting cast bullets.
        If you want to shoot jacketed bullets, you could look at the 100 grain Speer Plinker bullet with 9.2 grains of Unique.
        That should be a real bunny fart at 1248fps.
        16.0 grains of SR-4759 with the 100 grain Plinker will get a soft shooting (under 1600fps) load.
        SR-4759 is very bulky and therefore a common powder for reduced loads.
        Keeping the bullet weight down will help with recoil nearly as much as a light powder charge.
        Consider dacron as a filler instead of cereal. Be safe.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎