Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post up you favorite cleaning solvents and Lube

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hoppes #9 works for me. I use it on the long guns and short handguns.

Junior Trader
    Feedback Score
    Hoppe's #9

Feedback Score
    For a general purpose lube, try ATF (Dexron II or III) all by itself. That's right, regular Automatic Transmission Fluid. Early automatic transmissions used sperm whale oil, which quickly became impractical during WWII and eventually illegal. The automotive industry went into hyper-drive to create a synthetic sperm oil, and ATF was the result. Many professional mechanics soak their pneumatic tools in ATF overnight, and they typically outlast one that isn't soaked/lubed with ATF by threefold, at least. ATF is one of the components of Ed's Red - both the bore cleaner and oil.

ATF does most anything that an oil that doesn't contain Teflon can do, and it's substantially cheaper than gun oil. What's not to like?
    'I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more, Toto!' Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz

Feedback Score
    Bore Tech CU2 Copper Solvent. Superb!

Junior Trader
    Feedback Score
    Kano Kroil- Cleaning and deleading - also use it in a Ultrasonic bath for the pistols, parts and SLC2D22 Supressor
    https://secure.concentric.com/kanola...r_google.shtml -

Remington Rem Oil with Teflon for lube & protection

Junior Trader
    Feedback Score
    Was using Mobil 1, Trans fluid and conventional gun oils. No apparent problems or need to change but then I tried dry lubes in one Marlin 1894CB 45 LC and one Ruger Vaquero, also a 45. The action is slick; maybe better, not worse, in what was already a good quick lever action. The big difference is how clean it is. The dryness doesn't hold debris. It's remarkable.
    First I used Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant aerosol and then Dupont Teflon Silicone Lubricant in a squeeze bottle. I clean the heck out of the guns with a spray cleaner so there isn't any oil in the action before using the Dry Lubricants. With the squueze bottle I can better saturate hard to reach nooks and crannies.
    IMG_20140127_021413_783~-picsay.jpgIMG_20140127_021343_644~-picsay.jpgIMG_20140127_021337_-picsay~01.jpg
    Last edited by meeesterpaul; 01-27-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Junior Trader
    Feedback Score
    I have always been a big fan of Ed's Red but lately I have been transitioning over to Frog Lube.

Junior Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ballistol and CLP are what work for me.
    Life is a gift, not a choice.

Junior Trader
    Feedback Score
    I have used a 50/50% solution of acetone (100% acetone fingernail polish remover Dollar Store $1.25)
    and ATV fluid for 55 years and tried most others and the mixture works just as well (nothing better) and cost less. Use what you think is best for your needs but when you buy the expensive fluids you pay for the container, packaging labor, and advertising not better performance.