• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmi48219
    Junior Trader
    • Feb 2016

Making a gun part

I found out the hard way it's not a good idea to let the hammer drop full force with the slide is removed from an AMT AutoMag III. Bent the part of hammer strut that goes into the hammer spring. It bent where it meets the tombstone shaped piece about 30 degrees. I straightened it out but a crack has started where it bent. Not having a lot of luck finding one, High Standard, Numrich, Midway & Brownells are out of stock. Thinking about drilling & filing one out of suitable thickness cold rolled steel strap.
    I figure the hole for the pin is pretty critical, diameter-wise, but if the strap thickness is the same I think I could drill first, then trace the old piece and file away until it matches. Am I looking at this wrong or are there any things I should be considering?
    The part on right is like mine, 'tombstone' section is 1/4 x 1/2 inch roughly. I didn't mike it yet for hole diameter or thickness. The outer edge on one side is slightly thinner/rounded making me think it was a stamped part. Any suggestion would help.
    image.jpg
Working...
X